The Directorate of Government Examinations conducts the Tamil Nadu Board HSC examination. It was formed in 1975. Before this the DPI/DSE was the ex-officio for conducting the Government examination. The issuance of first school leaving certificate was in 1911. From then on wards the Directorate of Government Examination started conducting the exams.
After conducting the SSLC examination for the first time in 1911, the issuance of computerised certificates and mark sheets began in 1972. In 1980 the concept of Higher Secondary Examination with the formulation of Deputy Directorate of Government Examinations at Madhurai and Coimbatore. Like this there were seven regional offices at Tirunelveli, Chennai, Coimbatore, Tiruchirappalli, Madurai, Cuddalore, Vellore.
Tamil Nadu Board Class 12th Syllabus
Any update in Tamil Nadu Board Class 12th Syllabus is done by the Government of Tamil Nadu as since the State Board works under the government of Tamil Nadu. The candidates can download the syllabus by visiting the official website of the Tamil Nadu Board which is dge.tamilnadu.gov.in. The details about the syllabus of Tamil Nadu Board Class 12th are as follows-
- System of Equations- Methods of solutions, Systems of linear equations.
- Application of Matrices- Isometry and similarity matrices, Matrices for transformations such as Shear, Stretch, Translation, Rotation, Reflection, Glide reflection, etc.
- Vector Algebra- Applications to mechanics, Vectors and Scalars, Scalar and vector products, Applications to Geometry and also Parallel & Perpendicular vectors.
- Complex Numbers- Complex Algebra, Applications
- Analytical Geometry- Conic, Parametric representation, Derivation of the standard equation: Rectangle Hyperbole, Ellipses, Parabola and Hyperbola.
- Application of Differentiation- Mean Value Theorems, Maxima and minima, Partial derivatives, Curve tracing, Errors and Approximations, Derivative as a rate measurer.
- Application of Integration- Integral, Application of Integral
- Differential Equations- Formation of Differential Equations, I order: Variable, Homogeneous Equations, Exact Equations, Linear Equations, Linear Equations with constant coefficient, application.
- Probability Distributions- Discrete distributions, Continuous distribution, Mathematical Expectations, Probability functions, Random variable.
- Algebraic Structures- Group structures, Fields, Integral Domains, Rings.
- Current Electricity- Electric current, Drift velocity, Ohm’s law, Electrical resistivity and conductivity, Superconductivity, Carbon resistors, Krichoff’s law, Wheatstone’s Bridge, Metrebridge, Potentiometer, Electric power, etc.
- Effect of Electric Current
- Electromagnetic Induction
- Alternating Current
- Electromagnetic waves
- Waves optics
- Atomic Physics
- Dual Nature of Radiation and Matter
- Nuclear Physics
- Semiconductor devices
- Communication Systems
Inorganic Chemistry- Atomic Structure -II, Periodic Table, p- block elements, d- block elements, f-block elements, Co-ordination compounds & bio co-ordination compounds, Nuclear Chemistry.
Physical Chemistry- Solid State, Thermodynamics II, Chemical Equilibrium II, Chemical Kinetics II, Surface Chemistry, Electro Chemistry I, Electro Chemistry II.
Organic Chemistry- Isomerism in Organic Chemistry, Ethers, Hydroxy derivatives, Carbonyl Compounds, Carboxylic acid, Organic Nitrogen Compounds, Bio molecules, Chemistry in Action, Problems in Chemistry.
1) Taxonomy of Angiosperms- a) Biosystematics
b) Binomial Nomenclature
c) Herbaria and their uses
Bentham & Hooker’s
Classification of Plants
Fabaceae, Rubiaceae, Asteraceae, Solanaceae, Euphorbiaceae, Liliaceae, Arecaceae and their Economic Importance
2) Plant Anatomy, – Tissues and Tissue
Anatomy of Dicot and Monocot Roots
Anatomy of Dicot and Monocot Stems
Anatomy of Dicot and Monocot Leaves
Secondary growth in Dicot Stem
3) Cell Biology and Genetics,- Chromosomes : Structure and types
Genes and Genome
Linkage and Crossing over
Recombination of Chromosomes
DNA as Genetic material
Structure of DNA and its Replication
Structure and types of RNA, Role of
RNA in Protein Synthesis
Genetic Code, Transcription,
4) Bio Technology, – Recombinant DNA Technology
Transgeneric plants and Microbes
Plant Tissue Culture and Applications
Single Cell Protein (SCP)
5) Plant Physiology- Enzymes : Classification, Properties, Mechanism and Action, Photosynthesis,
Respiration, Plant Growth, Photoperiodism & Vernalisation.
6) Biology in Human Welfare- Food Production Breeding
Experiments Improved Varieties
Role of Bio- Fertilizers
Crop diseases and their control,
Genetically Modified Food
Medicinal Plants including
- Human Physiology- Nutrition
Calorie values (ICMR standards)
Hyperglycemia, Hypoglycemia, Diabetes mellitus, Malnutrition
Enzymes and enzyme action.
Dental caries – Root canal
b) Receptor Organs,
d) Reproductive System
g) Modern Genetics
h) Environmental Science
I) Applied Biology
j) Theories of Evolution
Depreciation- Understands the meaning, Identifies the reasons, Recognize the causes, Understands the various basic terms, Methods, Estimation, Profit or Loss, Transforms the journal entries into ledger accounts.
Final Accounts Adjustment- Regonizes the format, Recalls the importance, Identifying, Understanding the adjustments.
Interpretation of Financial Statements- Recalls the meaning, Recognises the meaning, Categories the various ratios, Understands the meaning of current ratio, Calculate three ratios, Applies formula.
Accounts from incomplete records
Partnership Basic Concepts
Accounts of Joint Stock Companies
Nature and Scope of Economics-
Adam Smith’s Wealth, Alfred Marchalls’ Welfare, Lionel Robbins’ Scarcity, Paul A. Samuelson’s General – Criticism of all
Divisions of Economics; i) Consumption
v) Public Finance Nature of economics
Micro economics, Scope of Micro Economics, a) Theory of Demand
b) Theory of production and cost Theory of Factor Pricing (Theory of Distribution)
a) Theory of rent
b) Theory of wages
c) Theory of Interest
d) Theory of Profit
Nature of Economic Laws
Basic concepts in economics
- Basic Economic Problems
- Consumer’s Behaviour
- Law of Demand and Law of Supply Law of Demand
- Law of Supply
- Equilibrium Price
- Cost and Revenue
- Market Structure and Pricing
- Marginal Productivity Theory of Distribution
- Simple Theory of Income Determination
- Monetary Policy
- Fiscal Policy
Water Matters, Value and importance of water, Global water availability.
Problems of Water Scarcity and pollution, Wastewater treatment, Land and Water Pollution and Land Degradation
Water Ethics and Management, Decreasing water quality, Water ethics, Increasing water demand.
Natural Hazards and Disasters, Hazards and Disasters prevention and mitigation.
Human Evolution and Civilisations, Human Potential, Identities and Crisis, Health and Family welfare.
Globalisation, Liberalisation, Global change Natural change, Greenhouse effect, Global warming, Informatisation, Individualisation.
First, second and Third Worlds, The World in Distress, The divisions Economic development, Towards One World, Poverty-Hunger dilemma, Nuclear Dilemma, Terror Dilemma.
Sustainable development, First World and sustainable Development
Third world and sustainable development, Participatory management Management transfers.
Information Management Data, Intranet and Extranet, Cyberspace management, Electronic mails and faxes.
Geographical Information Systems, a spatial databases Relational database management systems (RDBMS) Vector Global Positioning System Spatial, Raster GIS Integrated GIS
Spatial Analysis, Density gradients, Fieldwork: Physical Environment, Fieldwork: human Environment.
India under East India Company’s Rule, Education under the Company’s
Rule, British rule in Tamil Nadu, The Revolt of 1857, End of Company’s Rule, Socio-religious reform in India in 19th century, Changes in Indian administration after 1858, India’s Freedom Movement, India’s Freedom Movement (Gandhian period), Role of Tamil Nadu in India’s Freedom Movement, India after independence.
Renaissance, American war of independence, French Revolution, Industrial and Agricultural Revolutions, Colonialism, First World War, Imperialism, Russian Revolution, League of Nations.
Rise of Fascism and Nazism, Second World War, Growth of Asian, UNO, Cold wars, NATO, SEATO and Warsaw Pact. Liberalisation, Globalisation, etc.
Non- infinite verbs, Prepositions, Active and Passive, Tenses, Sentences, Conjunctions, Degree of Comparison, Subject Verb Agreement.
A Father to his Son, All the World’s a Stage, Our Casuarina Tree, Ulysses
The Chair, Rule of the Road, In Celebration of Being Alive, Two Gentlemen of Verona
The Midnight Visitor, God Sees the Truth but Waits, The Midnight Visitor.
Principle of Management, Function of management, Management by exception, Management by objectives, Money Market, Capital Market, Financial Market, Securities, Stock Exchange, Recruitment Methods, HRM Fundamentals, Recent trends in marketing, Marketing and marketing MIX, Employee training method, Employee selection, Concept of market and marketer, Consumerism, Environmental factors, Rights , duties and responsibilities of consumers, Grievance redressal, Liberalization, globalization, privatization.
Company Secretary, Companies ACT , 2013, Company management, Types of entrepreneurs, entrepreneurial development, The sale of goods act , 1930, Elements of entrepreneurship, negotiable instruments act , 1881.
The Tamil Nadu State Board official website link is HERE.
The candidates have to score 35% marks per subject.
The Tamil Nadu State Board Syllabus is available on official website.
The subjects are such as English, Commerce, Tamil, Physics m, Maths, Chemistry, Zoology, Botany, etc.
The Directorate of Government Examinations conducts the Tamil Nadu Board HSC examination.